Because last night was so odd, here’s a bit of a refresher of the weird…
- The winning pitcher was a closer.
- A starting pitcher earned the save.
- The Cardinals sent a reliever to the plate to pinch hit – with the bases loaded – before catcher Bryan Anderson.
- Felipe Lopez, who hit a grand slam the night before, pitched last night. He pitched to Raul Valdes, the pitcher who surrendered the grand slam.
- Lopez played: shortstop, third base, pitcher and third base again.
- Valdes picked up his first career hit in the 18th inning, but was thrown out at second after a wide throw to first.
- For some reason I will never understand, Ryan Ludwick attempted to steal second base in the 19th inning…with Albert Pujols at the plate.
- Kyle Lohse, a pitcher, played left field while Lopez and Joe Mather, another position player, pitched.
- The Mets were able to score twice off of Mather – but only on sacrifice flies.
- Mike Pelfrey, who earned the save, leads the Mets in wins and saves.
- Only Oliver Perez did not appear in the game for the Mets.
- Last night was K-Rod’s first save opportunity of the season.
- Mets pitchers walked 11 batters and struck out 19.
- The Mets left 13 on base while the Cardinals left 22 ducks on the pond.
- Of the Mets nine hits, all were singles.
- Of the team’s 24 combined hits, only two were for extra bases.
- Six Mets played the entire game. Five Cardinals lasted all 20 innings.
…did you follow all that?