SNY just carried Omar Minaya’s conference call with reporters (which was absolutely fascinating to listen to). Here are the updates I tweeted…
- Oliver Perez heading to NY to get his knee checked on.
- @benshpigel asks about relation between Santana's injuries in ST and now. Minaya can't recall injury from ST.
- Putz scratched from Brooklyn appearance "to give him a little more time," says Minaya
- @nyp_joelsherman on the line now. Asking Minaya why they let Santana keep pitching with '09 in the tank.
- "That's why we're shutting him down now. ... After his last start is when he brought it up." -Minaya on Santana
- Minaya cannot recall Santana ST injury. Ya know, the one that almost cost him starting on Opening Day...
- "I think our medical staff did a very good job in getting him back out here in 11 months," -Minaya on Wagner
- "I have not spoken to Johan." -Omar Minaya
The reporters were fairly skeptical on why Santana kept pitching through 2009 with this pain since the season is essentially over. And rightly so.