After another miserable start by Oliver Perez, the Mets and their fans are all wondering what the next best move is for the $36 million man.
Last night, I asked my Twitter followers: What should the Mets do with Perez?
Here are their responses…
- kerelcoop said: admit you made a mistake, eat most of the contract and trade him.
- fscker said: you can't do much with him. Huge contract you can't unload, 2009's delgado... keep playing him and hope he comes around.
- LyleLanley said: Trade, demote, or put him in middle relief
- SITTINGINTHEBAC said: send him down
- gmo418 said: Let him work it out, if mets drop him or put him in bullpen this guy is so soft mentally he will never recover
- zim1021 said: Send him to the minors and see if he could be consistent there. If not, try and trade him.
- mets_geekette said: Make him throw right-handed a few times.. maybe he made a mistake and he's really a RHP. Surely he couldn't be worse?
- Retire31 said: Put him in a Brooklyn Cyclones commercial.
- blackshadows14 said: If Redding, Garcia, or Figueroa can't fill the void, then try to trade him for another SP
- trekmetfan said: I'm affraid the end is near for Perez.
- JTKrycek said: replace him w/ANY consistent "quality start"-er & turn him into Citi Field's 36 million dollar hot dog vendor.
- jessicarubin said: send him down to regroup. If he can't, try and trade him for another SP.
- metgirl4ever said: send him 2 a shrink so he can get his mind right...Ollie & Maine r crappy right now...can u justify keeping 1 & trading other
- thebrowncoat said: Let him pitch all innings except the 5th. Also, don't give him a $36 million deal...oh crap......
- d_kris said: Give him to the Cyclones & let him work his way back up thru the ranks! Good Ollie= move up, Mr Perez's Wild Ride= stay down!
- darknova306 said: I've had enough of Ollie on this team. AAA or trade him, but I don't want to see him in Citi anymore.
- willrmc said: Ask Atlanta if they want to trade him for Lowe. Sounds fair??
And from the peanut gallery / crude humorists…
- ChuckKnoblog said: I say we stomp him! Then we tattoo him! Then we hang him...! And then we kill him!- Pee Wee's Big Adventure
- metschick said: inject him with swine flu.
I can’t see any team wanting to take Perez and his $36 million contract right now or in the very near future. The Mets would have to eat the majority of his contract to even get the teams to the bargaining table.
The best bet is to skip his start and send him to the bullpen. Let him take a few days off, away from the team, to clear his head and see if he can come back ready and willing to listen to Dan Warthen and the coaching staff.
Not on Twitter? Hit the comments to toss in your 2¢ on what the Mets should do next with Oliver Perez.
Follow me on Twitter to participate
in the next Twitter Poll!