Yesterday, the firestorm that was the Doc Gooden Signature Scandal broke and was “resolved” by the New York Mets.
If you happened to be living under a rock yesterday, the story goes that Gooden took out a Sharpie and signed a section of the wall in the Ebbets Club. It reads “Doc Gooden 84 R.O.Y., 85 Cy Young, 86 W.S. Champs.” Pretty cool if you ask me. Not so much if you ask the Mets.
A report came out that the Mets were going to cover up the signature, because the building is “brand new.”
Well, after an outpouring of criticism from both the media and the fans, the Mets have “decided” to keep the signature, just move it elsewhere. (Anyone know how they’re going to move an entire section of a wall?)
"We've listened to our fans on this," Mets PR chief Jay Horwitz said. "The last thing we want is for them or Doc to be upset. We just didn't want everyone to think it was OK to start writing on walls all over the stadium.”
So last night, I asked my Twitter followers if the Mets should remove the signature. I also asked them who else they would like to see sign the wall. Here are their responses…
- susi__ said: Every Met...EVER..or legend if there isn't enough room.
- Retire31 said: No, move it if anything. / I want my fellow Filipino comrade, Benny Agbayani to sign it!
- metschick said: NO! I'd love to see Kiner (among others) sign the wall.
- Section518 said: Next up has to be Mex. Keith would eat that up...and he wouldn't even have to travel.
- fscker said: that signature was epic, they should have put glass around it.
- d_kris said: Doc did too much for the team to diss him by painting over it! Seaver, Piazza, '86 & '69 teams, Bobby V, etc, all should sign
- metgirl4ever said: No!! Piazza & Keith
- DonCheech said: No, move it like they said they would. also, every Met alive should sign the wall.
- supermannino said: I would rather have anything from Doc Gooden over Mike Piazza. What Doc did in his extracurricular time only hurt himself...
- kerelcoop said: for starters, everyone from the 86 team should sign
- darknova306 said: I'd want the infield from 99 and the 86 championship team to sign it.
- MetsNY81 said: Definitely keep it! I think any true Mets fan would agree. Would be cool if other members of the ‘86 team signed as well.
And from the peanut gallery / jokesters…
- kierankelly said: They should actually make it a feature and get all different Mets to sign the wall. It would be a cool feature.
- ProctorsArm said: No. Jackie Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale and Roy Campanella. Oh wait.
- PerpetualMemory said: Steve Philips and Victor Zambrano hah
Not on Twitter? Hit the comments to toss in your 2¢ about Doc’s signature and who else should sign the wall.
Follow me on Twitter to participate
in the next Twitter Poll!