The Mets are tied for first place, but everyone loves a pessimist. Here are the five reasons I think the Mets will fall apart and fail to make the postseason.
And here. We. Go.:
- The Mets don't have starting corner outfielders. Moises Alou is done for the year. Ryan Church can't seem to get, and stay, healthy. A cast of characters has filled in their absences, and done decently, but who thinks they can keep it up? Jerry Manuel isn't even confident, saying, "Those guys have played surprisingly well. I don't know if you can expect that to continue."
- Carlos Delgado will falter. Sure, he's been pretty smoking hot lately, but there's a huge chance he could return to the player we saw the first few months of the year. He'd be a huge liability to the lineup if he goes back to the April/May Delgado.
- The bullpen will fall apart...again. Just like last year.
- Oliver Perez will forget how to pitch...again. He also seems to have turned a corner, but who really thinks that is going to last?
- David Wright won't be able to carry the team this time. He almost pulled it off in 2007, but this one might be too tough for him to overcome.
Anything I miss?